Friday, October 31, 2014

DAY 1532: LUKE 14

This might be my favorite Halloween yet. We've had lots of fun Halloweens over the years with people we love and adore but this year for the first time it's been our most intentional Halloween. Feel like we had some great conversations with neighbors we don't get to speak with or see very often. Got to see neighbors we do get to interact with on a more regular basis and ended the night with friends around a fire. Halloween has taken on a whole new meaning for me now and I want to capitalize on this holiday as much as I can and use it for intentional relationship building. Super jazzed! It's amazing what people will talk about with just a few simple questions. Wheels are turning for next year and I have renewed hope for what our block could be like. Dreaming up a Christmas light contest. God may your light shine on our street. May you equip us with creativity to reach our neighbors and to love them like crazy and point them to you. Thank you for tonight. Passion has been reignited and I'm so thankful for the gift of tonight.

A child was abducted tonight. A precious one year old boy. Dear Jesus protect your child tonight. Fight for the weak and defenseless. I pray justice will reign tonight and you would be glorified.

The song Oh Come Emanuel has been on my heart the past couple days. Jesus came to rescue me. I forget that simple wonderful truth. And the words I heard spoken to me one night parked in my driveway have increased in depth tonight. "You don't have to be so strong because I came to rescue YOU."

I heard self reliance and self protection coming from a neighbor this afternoon. Nobody protected her and she's learned to dig in and do things her own way. But there's a new way for her because she's a new creation in Christ. Old habits do not die quickly though. 

As for me, what does it look like to live out life with the knowledge that I don't have to be strong because Jesus came to rescue me. It's living life without fear, without being self reliant and trusting even when my greatest instinct tells me to self protect. It's not to be a fool but it's living life with an unguarded heart. Much easier said than done. 

Luke 14:
The cost of being a disciple. Be humble. Take up your cross and follow Him. 

Makes me think about this verse:
But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. (‭Matthew‬ ‭6‬:‭33‬ ESV)

Love how Jesus continually healed people on the Sabbath. Makes me think that the quality of being a pot stirrer can indeed be redeemed for The Lord's purposes.

D

No comments: