Tuesday, November 11, 2014

DAY 1542: ACTS 2

Lots and lots of churn tonight. Heart heavy. Seeing and hearing are two themes that have come strong today and frankly have been undertones for awhile. If a person is "blind" are they responsible for what they can not see? For that matter what is the difference between spiritual blindness and denial? What if you are sick and you just don't know it? Pride causes spiritual blindness.  Jesus pride is the cancer to my soul. I know I possess it and God just like a cancer the thought of any single shred of it residing in me makes me sick. I pray that you heal me of the sickness and blindness that I can't see. It will rob me of life and destroy my ability to see and hear you clearly. I pray that you would slay me so that I might die so that you might increase. I hate the awful sin nature that resides with in me. I'm not who I desire to be. I don't do the things I should and I do the the things I don't want to do. I'm so desperate for you. Thank you that you love me and consider me blameless and righteous before your sight. I don't deserve your love, your mercy or your grace. I am yours forever.

Today I heard something for the first time. My blind trust kept me from hearing and from seeing quite frankly. My big question is now what? My whole church paradigm is shifting. I can't help but wonder if we have thrown the baby out with the bath water. You can take your children to church every Sunday and yet never actually go to church with your children. When I stop and think about that it's absolutely crazy to me. Have we been lured away from corporate worship together as a family without even realizing it?
------------
1. Thankful for jeggings on a cute little almost preschool girl.

2. Thankful for a cold front that will provide the need for footie pj's.

3. Thankful for a good last day of co-op and that my kiddos have had a blast!

4. Thankful for easy dinner.

5. Thankful for Jesus and that He never gives up on us and He meets us where we are.

6. Thankful that where there is churn there is less room for complacency.

7. Thankful to have been able to have ears to hear things today.

8. Thankful that we have direct access to God through prayer. May I avail myself of that more readily. May I be quicker at listening as well.

9. Thankful for a warm house. I often take it for granted and complain and it's disarray.

10. I'm thankful for hat day!!!

-----
Read some NPR articles. Bad bad idea this late when I'm already in deep thought about everything under the sun. Bad bad idea!! One article I read was about Scientist combining the DNA of three people in order to eradicate disease in an embryo. It's already been done yet Britain hasn't given consent yet to allow the baby to be implanted. The green is looking good and next year this genetically modified baby could possibly be born. So many thoughts.

The second article I read was about transgendered individuals giving birth. There was a study done and some of the people suffered from increased body dysmorphia (?) but most actually for the first time valued their body and what it was created to do. I wonder how much of this hatred for ones body or body parts is birthed out of sexual abuse. 

The world my Brownies are going to have to live in and navigate is going to be a crazy one. I can't help but think about this verse:

In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as they saw fit. (‭Judges‬ ‭17‬:‭6‬ NIV)

Acts 2:
Forget how crazy inspiring Acts is. Should be a no brainer. It is so good.

Pentecost happens. They were all together in a house when a sound comes from heaven of a roaring wind and what looks like flames rest on the heads of the believers. God fearing Jews were in Jerusalem from all over the place and they were amazed as this group of Galileans were able to speak in the native tongue of countries from all over. There are always the skeptics and they laughed and called the people who had received the Holy Spirit drunkards. Peter addresses the crowd and quotes scripture from the OT and brings the gospel. About three thousand were added to the number of believers that day. That is quite the alter call!

Couple of verses that really caught my eye:

" 'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. (‭Acts‬ ‭2‬:‭17‬ NIV)

When I read this I couldn't help but think about the Muslims who are experiencing dreams and visions and are converting to Christianity. 

This is the other verse that stood out:
"Therefore let all Israel be assured of this: God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Messiah." When the people heard this, they were cut to the heart and said to Peter and the other apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?" (‭Acts‬ ‭2‬:‭36-37‬ NIV)

The Gospel should cut us to the very heart. It should bring us to our knees every single day. 

Characteristics of the church in Acts:
1. The Holy Spirit was present and active.
2. People devoted themselves to teaching, specifically the apostles.
3. They devoted themselves to fellowship.
4. They devoted themselves to the breaking of bread.
5. They devoted themselves to prayer and prayed continually.
6. The believers were together and had everything in common.
7. They sold property and possessions and gave to anyone in need. 
8. They met every day in the temple courts.
9. They ate together with glad and sincere hearts.
10. They praised God.
11. They enjoyed the favor of all the people.
12. The Lord added to their number daily.

Part of the key to this close knit group of believers is that they were together. If you live together it makes it so much easier to pray together continually, break bread together, fellowship together, meet up everyday, ect. Obviously communal living is where it's at. That's a lot of people living together. 

D

No comments: