Tuesday, December 02, 2014

DAY 1564: Advent

Good day. Lots of thinking today. Started reading Grace Based Parenting last night when I couldn't sleep yet again. So far so good. Really loved getting a sense of a child's three main driving needs: a need for security, significance and strength. As parents we offer that to our children through love, purpose and hope. It's got my wheels churning for sure.

Tonight sitting by the fire, tree lit, kids gathered round, Jesse Tree devo in progress I couldn't help but think that tonight was a small slice of heaven. It wasn't perfect. Oldest played with a camera instead if listening intently, toddler tried to find the noisiest toy to play with and baby was determined to crawl into the fire. It was beautiful though and I'm so thankful for our beautiful chaos. 

Thankful tonight for hope. Saw it expressed today in God's gracious provision. Without hope the hearts and souls of man grow weary and faint. It's hope that affords us strength in the darkest of hours. God so graciously bestows upon us hope when we feel none can be found anywhere. He is so gracious and tender to us.

 I loved this tonight from Desiring God's Advent Devo:

Have you ever thought what an amazing thing it is that God ordained beforehand that the Messiah be born in Bethlehem (as the prophecy in Micah 5 shows); and that he so ordained things that when the time came, the Messiah's mother and legal father were living in Nazareth; and that in order to fulfill his word and bring two little people to Bethlehem that first Christmas, God put it in the heart of Caesar Augustus that all the Roman world should be enrolled each in his own town?

God help me to trust you knowing that you have ordained all the days of my life and the lives of my children. May I not grow faint or weary if the world around me shall continue to crumble and crash to the ground. Prone to wander Lord I feel it tether my heart to you and draw me back again if I get wooed by the things of this world. Guide Les and I as we tend to the hearts of our children, as we love our friends and neighbors and as we learn to have eyes to see the hurt, the lonely and the broken hearted.

D

No comments: