Thursday, January 01, 2015

DAY 1593:GENESIS 1-2

So I didn't end up taking time for quiet reflection for this upcoming year. I figure I got a few days to get things in order before I must step back into life in the real world. Thankful for the time we had with my hubs. It's been so good for us and I'm incredibly thankful.

I want to get back to fasting from something every year. I've done it once and it was hard but fantastic. I've yet to do it again because I love comfort and ease. This year I really want to start chipping away at this idol of comfort. I think this will be part of the equation. This year I'm giving up social media. There's already so many excuses or loopholes I want to make to not do it so I know I'm on the right trail. For all the good reasons for social media there are great arguments for the evils of it as well. This year I'll find out if the good reasons really make it worth it by abstaining from it all together.

Self care is something I would like to get better at to. I can totally see this becoming an empty New Year's Resolution but I hope not. Specifically I would like to get a better grasp on sleep. Many things suffer when I'm running on too little sleep and it's much harder to fight against my urge to run to comfort if I'm exhausted. Sleep has always been an issue hopefully this year I'll begin to get a better grasp on it. My game plan is to do the Sleep 14 every time my sleep patterns get out of whack. I'm starting on Monday and maybe Monday will be my check in day for how sleep is going. I know there are circumstances out of my control such as little girls who like to party and keep their Mommy up till 4am. However, I've got some really bad habits too. I need to crush the inner night owl.

I've decided that instead of viewing my lack of memorizing Sermon on the Mount as a fail I'm going to pick it back up and keep running with it. If I can write this passage of scripture on my heart I know it will be life changing. I don't want to abandon it just yet. The third time seems to be the charm for me so maybe I'll have this completed in three years.

I'm also going to do the Daily Walk Bible again. I abandoned it this year after we got back from Costa Rica and our world was turned upside down. I just got too far behind and it really didn't matter much at that point. The other thing I would like to do which might be a BHAG is to chart out a chapter of scripture a week. This might be one of those things that will fall to the wayside but like SOTM it's one of those things worth fighting to continue to pick it back up and not sweat performance or perfection.

This is probably another BHAG but I'd like to read a book a month. Leaders are readers after all. It would be a smashing success to finish even one book from start to finish. Well, at least one that isn't something I'm reading to the kids.
-------
Gen 1-2:
Been meditating on "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". I think I've heard this verse so many times over the past 8 years that I've glossed over the magnitude of this verse. My attitude has become "yeah yeah God created the heavens and the earth now let's get this show on the road". Really I should want to stop for days, weeks, years, my entire lifetime just pondering the greatness of this verse. In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth. There was nothing but darkness but out of that darkness light broke forth at the utterance of a single word. And God said. And God said and everything was set in motion. Every single thing. In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth is just not a simple children's bible verse. In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth should give me long pause to reflect in the awe of the majesty of God. It should produce fear and trembling. He breathed the very breath of life into humanity, into my very own lungs and He can choose to take me out of this world whenever He chooses. I was not created for me and to glorify myself but rather as a reflection of Himself. I was created in His image so that all glory and honor might be given to Him.

Throw in these verses and I'm undone.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life, and the life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. (‭John‬ ‭1‬:‭1-5‬ ESV)

Nothing is random. Everything has been beautifully planned and crafted since the beginning of time. 2014 was not a random collection of events for us. It was planned, it was ordained and woven together to create and write a beautiful story of His redemption, His love, His mercy, His power, and His grace. If nothing is random and it is all ordained in such a way that is for our good and His glory how can we do anything but rejoice in all circumstances? He never sleeps. He never tires or grows weary. Today is a gift and what may come of today is also a gift regardless of whether I like the circumstances or not.

I do not believe our trials are over quite yet. They will never be completely anyway till the day we meet Our creator in heaven. I look forward with great anticipation to 2015 knowing that whatever may come is part of something bigger than I am. May I embrace the days with joy and with rejoicing knowing that all of my days have been set before me.

D

No comments: