Thursday, October 06, 2016

Homegrown Fried Green Tomatoes

1. Thankful for a delicious meal provided for from our garden. I'm a little sad about the state of affairs our garden is in and lack of other produce BUT we had some success this year and think we can only go up from here. 

2. Thankful for bizarro monarchs in our backyard. They are vine eaters and won't eat the milkweed we have in our backyard. I feel like I'm living in some weird twilight zone but if these aren't monarchs their eggs, caterpillars and butterflies look exactly the same. Need to bring some vine to my botanist friend so she can solve the mystery. So much better to find eggs and caterpillars in the backyard instead of trampling through snake infested fields. The Lord is good. 

3. I heart make your own pizza night in Browntown. We finally have enough bigs to make it worth it and it's much better than frozen pizza. Thankful for new family traditions. 

4. Thankful for the new playhouse my hubs made the kids. Love the imagination it is spurring on and the handicrafts that are already being made for it. Getting closer and closer to living like Laura Engels. Now all we need are some chickens, corn cob dolls, some soap making and butter churning and we'll be well on our way. 

5. Thankful for friends sharing stories of God's provision and for possible future adventures brewing for others. I love living vicariously through friends especially when they can send me pictures from paradise. Gives me hope that one day soon we'll be packing up for our own big adventure. Come on four seasons and amazing beauty. Got to get to that Bitterroot Valley. 

6. Thankful for a nap today and a midwife who told me a nap everyday is what she would tell me to do if it was realistic. So I'll count the days that it works out as a glorious victory. 

7. I've realized my attitude about my crazy exhaustion has changed significantly since hearing a heartbeat. I'm reminded that this is a season and the reward is an eternal being. There's nothing else in this world that I'll do that will last all eternity. Surely a couple more years of exhaustion is well worth the exchange. Pouring myself out as a drink offering is easier done when viewing life through the lens of eternity. Wish I had that perspective more often. I'm very much thrown off by the here and the now. 

8. You know you are exhausted when you dream about going on dates with your husband and all you do is take a loooong nap. It was glorious but got us home way too late. 

1 Peter 3:
Head is spinning a bit from this chapter. Kinda like a five course meal. I love that you can read passages over and over and yet still find new treasures in them. How amazing that the Word of God is indeed living! So many gems in this chapter but here's the first one that grabbed me.

"Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in Godʼs sight. For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear."
‭‭1 Peter‬ ‭3:4-6‬ ‭NIV‬‬

First thing is the beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit. I think growing in this will be a lifelong battle. Gentle and quiet spirit is hard for the line of women I've come from and the line of girls that seem to be coming after me. I know this fiery spunk is good for something but a little toning and humbling would be quite lovely.

I've never really noticed or remember noticing this "do what is right and do not give way to fear." I imagine a lot of struggle with submission stems out of fear. How good is the Lord to get to the root of the problem? Good to step back and dwell on how fear can run amuck and mess things up.

D



Sent from my iPhone

No comments: